Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Slut.

Wow as if you didn't need yet another feminist rant from Ann here is yet another on a topic that not only I but other people on How Fitting but many many other blogs have discussed: The word slut. Before I begin on this word I figured a clear definition would be helpful:
A person, especially a woman, considered sexually promiscuous.
b. A woman prostitute.
2. A slovenly woman; a slattern.
As I mentioned, this post is from the point of view of a feminist (me) and people have argued with me that this word is not a misogynistic word and that it does not make you less of a feminist if you use it for feminists come in all different types with beliefs that vary for each person. My rebuttal is that yes, not every feminist has the same beliefs and views but this word is not only in my opinion, "anti-feminist" but bullying. Why don't you call me worthless or stupid or ugly while you're at it? Telling someone that they are a slut or whore is not just misogynistic but an abuse word that no one should have to ever go through being called. Being a teenage girl in middle school, of course I have dealt with other girls talking behind my back to their friends, labeling me as bitch, slut, whore, you name it. If I ever did use these words before, I would never ever want to use them again after experiencing that name being thrown at me. Trust me, it hurts to be called a slut and really hit me hard. The word stuck with me and that day was not the last of the times I have caught people talking about how big a slut I am. I am not telling you this story for everyone reading this post to feel bad for me. I am sharing this experience to those who have ever called someone such a name. These words hurt. They hurt worse than anything else I have ever been called because after about the third time I was labeled as a slut, I began to really question myself. Was I really? 
Look, I realize that it is tempting and rather hard to not thinkof the girl wearing the short shorts or revealing tank top as a skank who just wants to show all the guys but am I only one who finds that terrible? Recently, one of the girls at my school wrote a long thing on social network to the "school sluts" on how everyone hated them and they need to cover themselves up. This really hurt me because I really felt as though she was directing this towards me and think about it: how shitty must it be to be told that the entire school body hates me? And why should I have to stand the abuse from one of my peers on what to wear? I don't mean to get angry, but why would it ever be OK to judge someone on what they wear? If I want to walk around in my booty shorts and tight fitting tank top because I finally like my body and want to show it off, that does not give you the right to ever tell me what and what not to wear or else everyone will hate me. 
One of my favorite movies of all time, Easy A, really talks about these problems. Though it is a comedy about a girl who pretends to have done various things with the guys at her school, the entire movie is based around the whole perspective of a "slut". Olive is called many names and bullied by her peers they even at one point, have a rally to have her expelled for being such a "whore". Her life falls apart just because she did some fake (though no one knows that it is) things with a couple guys. 
What about "Mean Girls"? Tina Fay's point is very valid. If girls continue to call one another sluts, it is going to make it OK for everyone else to call us that.
-Ann
*All photos taken from tumblr

1 comment :

  1. People at my school use the word 'slut' so often that it is infuriating. People call girls sluts merely because they dislike them! Lots of people call the 'popular' girls the 'sluts.' It's just really annoying that it is only used on girls and is another way in which society has tried to pitch girls against each other. Ugh. Also, Easy A is such a great film (as is Mean Girls, naturally)

    http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete