Monday, August 5, 2013

Hairspray

Okay, so today I figured I'd write about one of my all-time favorite movies. I'm kind of crazy about Hairspray. How could you not be? It's a combination of some of the best things in this world: John Waters, Divine, the 80s, the 60s, and DANCING.

I shouldn't have to tell you the plot, but just in case here it is.
Tracy Turnblad and her best friend, Penny Pingleton, audition for The Corny Collins Show, their favourite teen dance show. Despite being "pleasantly plump", Tracy becomes a regular on the show. As she gets more and more popular, she makes Amber, the reigning queen of the show, more and more jealous. Tracy steals Amber's boyfriend, Link Larkin, and competes against her for the title of Miss Auto Show 1963, fueling Amber's hate.


That's like, the simple version of the plot, but I really wouldn't want to spoil it for you, because the end is absolutely perfect. Not to sound pretentious, but one of the big reasons I love Hairspray is the gorgeous aesthetics. The colors, oh the colors! I just love the 80s interpretation of the 1960s. It's so full of candy brights and kitsch. And the costumes are amazing.
It's also super funny, plus it's the perfect movie for sleepovers and nights in with your friends because you can sing along at the top of your lungs and dance along as well! The songs will probably be stuck in your head for the next week (month) (year) but honestly, you won't really care. If I haven't sold it to you yet, then let this gif convince you.
xoxo,
Fiona

PS One word of warning: once you've watched this, you might never be able to watch the Zac Efron remake again. Oops!

No comments :

Post a Comment