Friday, May 23, 2014

My Favorite Shows

    I consider myself to be much more of an internet person than I will be a TV lover but I do have a fairly long list of shows that I enjoy and usually just watch on my laptop (this is in no particular order).

source
Supernatural
   This horror drama has been my favorite show since last Summer and I continue to love it (and be rather protective over it) even as their ninth season came to a close with an ending I don't particularly agree with. "Supernatural" follows brothers, Sam and Dean Winchester, as they hunt down demons, angels, and about everything else supernatural (hence the title). Over the seasons, not only does Dean's voice get deeper and Sam's hair becomes a flowing mane but there is actually some really rad character development between the relationship the siblings have and how they act towards each other. Though their latest season was pretty iffy, the series is just so interesting and I just can't put into words how much I love this show and how excited I am for season ten. 
source
Criminal Minds
    OK I realize how tacky and stupid yet another crime show where everyone is attractive must sound but I can assure you it is so much more (OK maybe it isn't but we're not going to go into that). "Criminal Minds" is set in Quantico, Virginia at the behavioral analysis unit with the ever so interesting team of profilers. The show for some reason fascinates me and I was hooked by the first episode. The characters are also so well written and they could all seriously sit in a room for an hour, talking about paperclips and they would somehow find a way to make the entire conversation seem like something great. There's also Matthew Gray Gubler and I think that's enough reason to watch the show.

source

White Collar
    Though I have spent more time than I should watching this, I think I am at the point where I am really questioning wether or not it's  actually a decent show or if I just really like Matt Bomer. "White Collar" is about famous painting forger, Neal Caffrey, and how he has been released from prison by agent Peter Burke (who's the one who put him in there in the first place) to help him solve white collar crimes- meaning paintings being stolen. I don't think I have to explain to you the lack of action. Though the plot is pretty flimsy and I'd consider this more of a guilty pleasure, the acting is A+ and you will no doubt fall in love with Neal Caffrey.

source
Hannibal
    About a week ago, I began watching this NBC horror crime show  after I'd caught myself up with "Criminal Minds" (it's not coming back until September) and I'm already in love. I am a very easily scared person so I was rather surprised when I began to love the show so much. To be honest, I don't believe "Hannibal" is nearly as scary as NBC makes it out to be. I am a person who is pretty fine with the whole blood and "scary" crime type thing (I thank "Criminal Minds" for that) so the graphic recreations of the murders that Will goes through don't disturb me at all and you know this show can't be even a bit scary if I say that I am fine with watching it. "Hannibal" follows Will Grahm, a profiler (as you can tell I'm big on shows about the BAU) who over the years, has become more and more disturbed by the crimes he has had to go through and the way he can get into a murder's mind has been driving him crazy so he is sent to a psychiatrist who just so happens to be Will's biggest case, The Ripper (a killer who rips out his victim's organs to consume them). Otherwise known as Hannibal Lector. Throughout the show, Hannibal plays countless mind games with Will to get him farther and farther away from being right about his case and it is actually a pretty frustrating show to watch since the killer is right in front of him. Everything in it is so well written and thrilling and I'd recommend this 100% for anyone into crime television. 

source

Daria
   Most of the shows I watch are pretty intense so it's nice to watch a simple cartoon like "Daria". I am not usually the type of person who really laughs out loud at anything yet this former MTV show has got me to the point of tears. The characters in "Daria" all have their own unique personalities and the form of comedy is so original.

source
Sherlock
    I have quite a thing for crime shows and "Sherlock" is no doubt the most unique one I have watched. Just like the original novels, the show takes place in England and follows Sherlock Holmes and John Watson as they solve mysteries together but the way BBC put a twist on it is A+. Everything is in modern times and unlike the books, Sherlock and John live together on Baker Street. Sherlock Holmes reminds me in a way of the less annoying and british Sheldon Cooper with how brilliant he is yet lacks social skills whereas John is left to be the Leonard (I may or may not have had a "Big Bang Theory" phase last year) and him, along with the audience, make fun of how clueless Sherlock can be. Needless to say, this BBC show is witty, thrilling, and on my top five list of favorite shows.

source
Workaholics
    Though this Comedy Central show isn't the most well written thing I watch, it is pretty damn funny. "Workaholics" follows three telemarketers and the strange and hilarious things they get up to after work. It's overall extremely well acted and one of my favorite things to watch whenever I'm not feeling of really needing to pay my full attention to something.

source
Flight Of The Concords
     One of my favorite things ever are mockumentaries and when my best friend, Vivi, showed me this HBO comedy, it was instant love. "Flight Of The Concords" is all about a rather unconventional band from New Zealand and how they come to America to build an audience though fail pretty badly, getting a gig here and there at a libraries and other strange venues. The entire series is very "Spinal Tap"-eque, extremely creative, and hilarious.
source
Freaks and Geeks
    This 90s teen comedy is one of my all time favorites and continues to be timeless. "Freaks and Geeks" follows Lindsay and her experience through high school as she begins to grow out of her friend group and begins hanging out with the "freaks" of the school. Throughout the eighteen episodes, Lindsay is opened up to a world of drugs, drinking, and just getting to be more free than she was before with her unforgettable group of new friends made up of James Franko as Danny Desario, Ken Miller played by Seth Rogan, Nick Andopolis portrayed by Jason Segal, and my personal favorite, Busy Phillips as Kim Kelly. There is also the side plot of the geeks led by Lindsay's younger brother, Sam, and his two friends, Neal and Bill as they figure out girls, face being bullied, and get into Neal's dad's affair. Though there are only eighteen episodes the series is one of the best shows I have ever seen and I'd recommend it to anyone.








No comments :

Post a Comment